The Cost of Chasing Horizons
The shepherd had spent years on the hills.
Each morning he led his sheep to fresh grass. Each evening he counted them home again. It was honest work, but slow. Day after day looked much the same.
From the cliffs he often watched the sea.
Ships arrived with swollen sails and stories of distant places. Their holds were filled with spices, cloth, and treasures from lands he would never see. The sailors seemed to return richer every season while he remained on the same hillside with the same flock.
Eventually, the shepherd decided he had been looking in the wrong direction all along.
He sold his sheep and bought a boat.
If the sea had made other men wealthy, surely it would do the same for him.
For a little while, everything seemed full of promise.
Then the weather changed.
A violent storm swept across the water. The shepherd lost his boat, his cargo, and nearly his life. Crawling back onto the shore, soaked and empty-handed, he looked out across the waves and realized too late that the sea had never promised him anything.
It had only looked that way from a distance.
Horizons Have A Way Of Fooling Us
This old story feels surprisingly modern. Today, the ships arrive through our screens instead of our harbors. Someone promises six figures in six months. Someone else says all you need is one course, one funnel, one secret strategy.
Their lives look polished. Their success looks effortless.
And if you're exhausted, frightened about money, or longing for work that fits around chronic illness, those promises can feel almost impossible to ignore.
I know. Because I believed them.
The Ocean I Chased
When I first tried building an online business, it looked wonderfully simple.
Buy this course. Learn the system. Then sell the course to someone else. The cycle would continue, and eventually the money would arrive. At least, that's what I believed.
The reality was very different. I was a grandmother who grew up long before the internet. Everyone seemed to know exactly who they were talking to.
I didn't. I restarted five different times because I couldn't find the right niche. Each time a new course promised to solve the problem, I bought it. The debt quietly grew.
My fibromyalgia made everything harder. The advice was always to post constantly, stay visible, keep producing, never disappear from the algorithm.
My body simply couldn't do it. After a full year...I had earned ten dollars. Ten. That number stung far more than the money itself.
It made me wonder whether I simply wasn't cut out for this.
What Fibromyalgia Quietly Teaches
Living with fibromyalgia changes the way we experience ambition. Our minds often race far ahead of our bodies. We have wonderful ideas. We care deeply. We want to contribute. But every decision carries an invisible cost in energy.
When we're told success requires endless consistency, daily content, constant learning, and perpetual availability, many of us assume we're failing because we can't keep up. In truth, our nervous systems are asking a different question.
"Can we do this without overwhelming ourselves?"
That isn't laziness. It's biology.
Fibromyalgia is thought to involve changes in how the brain and nervous system process stress, pain, and sensory information. When those systems are already working overtime, constantly pushing for more doesn't create resilience.
It creates overload. Sometimes the wisest business strategy isn't growing faster. It's building differently.
Turning Back Toward The Hills
Eventually I stopped asking, "What are successful people selling?"
Instead I asked, "What have I actually lived?"
The answer surprised me. Nearly forty years with fibromyalgia had taught me things no online course ever could. I understood pacing. I understood grief. I understood disappointment. I understood rebuilding after another setback.
Most of all, I understood women whose bodies no longer followed the rules everyone else seemed to live by.
That realization changed everything. Instead of chasing someone else's business, I started creating my own.
From The Fables wasn't born from a marketing strategy. It grew from lived experience.
It lets me work with my energy instead of fighting it. I write more slowly. I tell stories. I create because I love creating, not because an algorithm demands another post before breakfast.
Ironically, letting go of the shortcut brought me closer to the work I had wanted all along.
The Shepherd Didn't Need The Sea
Looking back, I don't think the shepherd's greatest mistake was buying the boat. It was believing that someone else's path had to become his own. His sheep had already been teaching him patience.
Mine had been teaching me wisdom through nearly forty years of living in a body that insisted on different rhythms.
Sometimes the life we're trying to escape is quietly preparing us for the work we're actually meant to do.
The horizon will always sparkle. New promises will always arrive. But not every distant ship is carrying your future.
Sometimes the richest thing you can do is tend the field already beneath your feet.

Comments
Post a Comment
"Please be polite while you write a comment".